Silo wants to make it easy for our users to get their product where it needs to go; this is why we offer instant freight pricing and booking with guaranteed rates. If we surface a freight rate for your order, we will:
- Honor the price shown.
- Do the legwork to source the truck, track the truck, and give you status updates.
- Help you to troubleshoot the load in the event of issue.
You can learn more about the freight services Silo offers in this video.
When you create a purchase order (PO) in Silo, or view an existing PO without a connected freight load, Silo will generate a guaranteed freight rate for your order. If you select to book this guaranteed rate, Silo will work with a variety of transportation providers to ensure that your load arrives on time and at the cost specified — with minimal effort from you. The initial quote assumes that you will require a climate-controlled full truckload (FTL), but it can be adjusted to meet your needs.
If you press Review & add (or Add freight, if viewing an existing order), you will see that the guaranteed freight rate is populated based on the following values:
- Pickup zip code: the vendor’s address
- Delivery zip code: your company address, or the address of the Receive In location if multiple locations are enabled
- Pickup date: the requested date of the order (must be at least one day in the future to be valid)
- Delivery date: automatically set based on the pickup date and the distance between the pickup and delivery locations
- Vehicle type: defaults to refrigerated, but can be changed to dry van or flatbed
If any of these values are missing or invalid, the Freight module will show 'Get a guaranteed rate' instead of the quoted rate.
You can then press Next to then enter additional details about the shipment, including:
- Pickup and delivery addresses
- Pickup and delivery appointments
- Pallet count and weight
- Any special pickup or delivery requests
Once you’ve submitted this form by pressing Add to order, your guaranteed rate is locked in. If you change the vendor, receiving location, or requested date before placing the order, the rate will be refreshed with the new information and you’ll need to press Review & add to confirm the new details and add it to the order again.
Once you place the order (or immediately after clicking Book load, if you were viewing an existing order), Silo will begin sourcing a carrier for the load. You can then review the status of the load from the Freight > Loads screen in Silo or by reopening the purchase order and pressing the View link in the Freight header module.
If you later cancel the order without disconnecting the load, the load will be cancelled as well. Note that other edits to the order will not impact the load — you’ll need to reach out to email@example.com if any load details need to be changed.